Monday 7 October 2013

Snippets of the week #1


Things I heard, saw, thought or made up -and random pictures.

 
 

“I can’t get the lights to turn on, it’s pathetic, but we’ll have to do this in the dark.”
How important are first impressions? I think, that even though I’m studying at one of the best universities, apparently, they still have the same problems as my home university in Vienna. Not enough tables in the classrooms, clogged toilets, and incredibly smart, intelligent and wise people (university teachers), who experience technical difficulties. “I wanted to show you this presentation, but it’s not working, it seems like no one used this projector ever before.” I find this quite comforting, it makes it all seem less daunting and intimidating.

 

People are the best part of life. Apart from coffee, obviously. No, seriously, people are amazing. And they amaze me. For example, how can anyone say: “I think this story is about an honest parrot…” and say it with a straight face? She was really serious, and I started to wonder: How can we know that a parent is honest? And: Has anyone ever called a parrot dishonest? It makes quite a good insult, I think.  “I trusted you, and you betrayed me. You dishonest parrot!”

 



"Two for a fiver!” Columbia Road Flower Market. Gorgeous sunny weather, masses of people and a very nonchalant atmosphere. That’s what Sundays should be about. The vendors praise their products and shout “Three for a fiver!” right in your ear. “People are just standing here without purpose, and without flowers in their hands. What’s wrong?” As the day gets longer, the prices go down, and the flowers remain beautiful. And if you wait long enough, you’ll hear: “Three for a fiver!”  
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment