Saturday 19 October 2013

Coffee Coffee Coffee

I love coffee. It’s as simple as that. I didn’t used to like it, in fact, when I was about twelve years old, we had a school assignment where we had to write a short text about our likes and dislikes. I wrote that I find coffee disgusting, and couldn’t imagine ever liking it. Oh, well.

I also love coffee shops. Actually it’s one of the things I enjoy most about travelling. Travelling is usually about exploring another culture, country and city. You are exposed to a lot of new experiences, which can be overwhelming. Entering a coffee shop takes all that insecurity away, and you always feel at home, even if the coffee is terrible. Because a lot of the time it really isn’t about the coffee, but about the atmosphere and the people. This story is about all of the above.

In August, while vacationing with my family in Thailand, we went to the Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok. It’s the biggest weekend market in the world, and anyone who has ever seen it will agree with me, when I say, it’s a rather crazy place. You can get everything there, and that is not an exaggeration. From food to clothes to artwork, to things like artificial flowers, pets, kitchenware and scented candles and oils. Amidst all this, there also is coffee, in all of its variety. So I stumbled upon a teeny tiny place called Koko Drip. It had a very calm atmosphere within this busy market, and as I later found out, the shop had just opened a week before. The coffee was lovely, and so I decided to buy some to take home. And it wasn’t your ordinary coffee, so much I can tell you. Here's what it looked like.




 
Instructions

 

Instant coffee, but not instant.

Result
 
 
I think this is a very clever idea, and this was the first time I saw something like this. Basically it’s filter coffee without a machine. The coffee tasted very good, and it’s a fun thing to do. And I always think about the time and place where I bought it, which makes every cup taste just a little bit better.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment